So here goes...first post in my new Dream Big series! The purpose of this series is to encourage you to make BIG plans for yourself and actually pursue them. You never know what you can do until you try. This is for anyone interested in starting or currently running a home business. I know the initial startup and all the planning is alot and can be discouraging sometimes, but don't give up! I wanted to do this series for me personally as well as for everyone else in the same boat as me. I have asked a few home business owners to answer a few questions and give some advice to fellow small business owners or those about to start the journey. They shared some great information as well as their stories and how they got started. I hope you learn alot and are as encouraged by this series as I have been!
The first company that I have chosen to feature is Poppy Nail Polish. Poppy is actually based in Atlanta, Georgia which is one of the reasons I chose it first! Poppy was started a little over a month ago and already has wholesale accounts and has been featured on large websites. Poppy was featured on Zulily this week which is a pretty big deal!
All Poppy Nail Polishes are hand-blended without the use of toxins and are 5-free, vegan, and cruelty free. Poppy has a wide variety of colors and continues to add more. I also love that you can have nail polish parties! Find out more about having a party here.
![]() |
| Poppy Nail Polish in Coral |
I asked Tiffany, the owner/mastermind behind Poppy Nail Polish to answer a few questions that could possibly help out new and upcoming home business owners.
What inspired you to become an entrepreneur?
A romance novel, ha! I was so confused as a young adult because I didn't know what I wanted to be. I knew I liked to lead and was a hard worker when I wanted to be, but I have always had a hard time sticking to routines. I read a book by Nora Roberts about a business woman, and the love/obsession began.
How did you decide what you wanted your business to be?
I'm a serial entrepreneur, and I got my business degree AFTER starting my first online business, so everything I learned was by sticking my finger in the light socket so to speak. The first few businesses I had didn't do well, but each was better than the last. When I stumbled into creating nail polish, it was completely by accident, but the timing was perfect, and so it all began rather quickly.
What was your startup process?
I did a lot of planning to get Poppy off the ground. I researched business licensing, FDA guidelines, safety guidelines, etc. until my brain hurt. I kept notes in a little notebook until I was ready to start creating my prototypes. I spent weeks developing those first colors, getting the formula just right. After I had my product, I set up shop online and started marketing.
Is there anything you wish you had known beforehand that you would like to tell upcoming entrepreneurs? What?
My advice would be to put yourself in a position to wholesale, outsource things that just aren't your strength (such as accounting for me), and never underestimate the power of marketing and networking!
My first wholesale order was 3 weeks after opening Poppy, and it was through someone I'd connected with on Instagram. They ordered 450 bottles, which gave me enough capital to instantly begin working on bigger projects.
What are some benefits and difficulties in running a business out of your home and being a mom?
I love being able to step outside and take a play break with my kids! I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, and the days just go by so fast. I love that I haven't had to sacrifice my time with them in order to provide for them.
The flip side, though, is that I am always just a yell away, so unless it's nap time or bed time, I have to make sure that anything I'm doing can be stopped and finished later because interruptions are inevitable. I try to find a balance between the pros and cons of working from home by doing tasks like marketing, networking, and social media from my phone while I'm supervising the kids' independent play time. More involved tasks wait until nap or bedtime. I also make sure that technology stays out of meal times and that when I'm playing with my kids, I am completely present in that moment.
Be sure to check out the Poppy's Nail Polish website and order some nail polish! You can also follow Poppy on Instagram.
Be sure to leave a comment to thank Tiffany for all of the information that she gave us and let us know what helped you the most!


No comments:
Post a Comment